About Forest Schools
Forest School is an inspirational process, which offers all participants opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands on learning and play experiences in a natural environment.
- Is a long term process with frequent and regular sessions in a local natural space, not a one off visit.
- Takes place in a natural environment to support the development of a relationship with the natural world.
- Aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved
- Fosters resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Builds on an individual’s innate motivation and positive attitude to learning
- Offers opportunities to take supported risks appropriate to the environment.
- Is run by qualified Forest School Practitioners who continuously develop their professional practice.
Forest Schools came to the UK from Denmark in 1995 and have been developing and growing across the Bradford District since 2007 when the first practitioners were trained. There are now regular Forest Schools being run at settings across Bradford including schools nurseries and children’s centres. In addition, there are top class independent practitioners working across the district, either for themselves, charities or businesses. They deliver Forest School sessions with schools, youth groups, families and people of all ages.